Disclaimer

The content of this blog is the author's personal view. I am not a theologian, writer, or photographer. The views in this blog are based on personal experiences and not a judgement of what others are doing.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Changing Seasons

I really love Zinnias. I forgot I did.
My pepper plants had a little too much room in the beginning of the season,
so I put in a row of Zinnias.
They grew 3-4 feet high!

 
 


A baby cantaloupe.  It never made it because I missed a couple days watering.

 
Celery, rooted from the base of some store-bought.  It loved the garden outdoors.  I have never grown celery before!

 
Peppers!  This is the first year I ever had more than one or two peppers.
 
Sad Zinnias.  I was sad to see their bright faces go.  It was a view I enjoyed while teaching piano... note to self.  Plant them again next year.


Collecting some for next year.  Now to put the seeds in a spot I will remember next spring!



















Yesterday, getting ready to clear the garden...Tazer found a stick to play with.  She doesn't really play with sticks anymore, but she was happy to be doing yard work and the day was worthy of stick chewing. This is her stick carrying prance.

 Turk watching my every move to try to get one step ahead of me.  When I asked my son how he picked Turk's name he said it was from a movie and the detective's name was Turk.  My son said: he's always taking notes, always taking notes.

As he watched me clear the garden, he stood outside the raised bed and sniffed.  I could tell he really wanted to jump in the fresh dirt.  He remembered how he got yelled at a few weeks ago for laying in my newly planted bed of garlic.  So I asked him if he would like to go in the garden - just for today.  He wasn't sure I meant it so I gave him the hand signal to usher him up to the raised bed.  Oh, don't mind if I do! (he seemed to say that).  He walked the whole bed, sniffing and then found a spot to lay.  Tazer must've been watching and came up to him.
She seems to be saying: Don't you remember how we got yelled at the last time we did this?  Turk seems to be giving her a stuck up "I have special permission" look.

I gave Tazer permission and she jumped up so she could have a sniff....

Haa - this looks really bad.  I tried catching his yawn and this is what he looks like at the end of a yawn.  But he is keeping an eye on Tazer because he got permission in the garden first.




Still watching.
By the way, if you have a drummer in your family, old drumsticks make great garden markers! 

More peppers found hiding under the leaves that didn't get hit by frost!

 
 Glad to have found some hiding tomatoes too. 
I have been hungry for some and didn't want to buy them.


Don't know what I was thinking when I planted 2 elephant ear pots into one. 
Did I even wonder where I would put it over the winter.
No.
I could let it go dormant, but then I have the other plants in it that need some water.
I kept them alive a full year already, so I will see how they do this winter. 
Cut them way back so they don't shed all over.

I let the geraniums go dormant every year.
Every year I do the same thing when I bring them in: I can't bear to snip off the flowers yet and then I have a mess inside.  Today I cut them back.  I don't water these until around March.

Some gardening facts I learned or want to remember:
  • celery grown in your garden is dark green, so much different than the light green version we get from the store.  I rooted a store bought celery and will do this again!  Maybe in a pot so I can keep it going all year. I dug mine out and brought it in, but it is in shock right now.
  • Peppers from your garden are crisp!  Every time I cut one, I am surprised to not be cutting into a rubbery pepper full of wax (or whatever they use on them)
  • Squash and melons need to go in the ground, unless you are standing there watching them grow with a water hose in your hand.  I actually got 3 cantaloupe from a potted plant, but I missed one day of watering and they all fell off the vine.  Hmmm... next year find more vining spots.
  • I think I bought a pumpkin 'plant' and this year I got 2 orange pumpkins.  When I have planted them from seed, they are usually green when frost hits
  • Parsley is boring to grow (it always does good), but I have to remember that I never want to have to 'buy' parsley for that very reason
  • Basil is a must.  Expensive to buy and even dried tastes close to fresh when you dry your own.  Obviously the stuff you buy in the store is years old
  • Garlic is a staple that I have enjoyed growing because it's not hard
  • Pineapples are fun to pot and grow.  With all my experiments this summer though, I have doubled my houseplants which I said I would never do!
Today let it rain - we need it!  I had plenty to do indoors getting plants in their winter spots. Now to start making plans for next year while I sit by the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment