Disclaimer

The content of this blog is the author's personal view. I am not a theologian, writer, or photographer. The views in this blog are based on personal experiences and not a judgement of what others are doing.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Blessings

Frank
I just read the book "My Grandfather's Blessing".  It is making me think about how much I love blessings.  How I love to receive them.  How I want to bless my family, my husband, my children and my grandchildren with them.  Strangers too.  It is making me think about how we can bless others and how we can refuse to be blessed.

I remember as a child and to this day, my favorite part of Sunday morning service is the blessing at the end.  Not because church is finally over, but because, I guess as a child I remember thinking about God's face shining down on me and I liked that.  I still do.  I have almost missed playing the "Amens" on the organ because I was so engrossed in receiving my blessing.

I was thinking about this for a couple weeks and something bothered me.  We all know blessings are a good thing.  But to just take, take, take seems a little selfish.   I used to have a hard time taking something from someone when they offered.  When they were trying to bless me, I refused it.  No, no I can't take that, or I can't let you do that for me.  But somewhere along the line, I started realizing that it was necessary.

At the coffee shop in town, I get to witness how it should really work.  Frank is a 70 something man that is an icon there.  He is there just about every morning.  I walk the dogs to the coffee shop a few times a week (are you surprised why I named the walk the 'Frank Walk' to my dogs?).  Frank comes out and gives the dogs a dog biscuit and when I mention that I am going to stop by later, he always says "I'll buy you one!" 

I know that Frank doesn't have a lot of money.  I do not want to take his money.  If anything, I should be buying him a cup.  A couple hours later when I am back, he is up getting me a cup of coffee the second he sees me.  And he serves it to me exactly how I like it.  It is humbling to receive this act of service.

I know this is something he has to do.  I also know that if I don't accept his blessing of giving and serving, that I will stop the flow.  What I see happen at the coffee shop is that somehow Frank always has a free coffee card or a buck or two in his wallet.  Sometimes I get to sneak something to him.  Sometimes he lets me bless him with a cup of coffee before he can get to me first.  But I know that people that come and go there will pass along free coffee cards to him.  So it comes full circle.

In church this week, the sermon was about stewardship.  The readings were about the Parable of the Talents.   It put the final piece of the puzzle in place.  We are all blessed.  How we take our blessings, be they talents/gifts, money, and what we do with them is what makes this come full circle.  So if we take our blessings from God with a closed fist and just keep them for ourselves, nothing happens.  Eventually you will be stuffed full of blessings and there will be no more room for anymore.  But if you receive your blessings with an open hand, willing to receive and willing to give away, there is a flow.  God gives and because of these blessings, we are free to give them away.  This brings glory to God which is what we were made for.

The Lord Bless you and keep you,
the Lord make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you
and give you peace.

-Numbers 6:22-26

14 comments:

  1. Roxey....This is a beautiful post. I agree completely...and I love the pictures of Frank. How special!!! When I was the Youth Director at church, I told the confirmation class that the blessing was my favorite part of the service as well. It just makes me happy inside. I remember thinking Pastor probably thought it was weird, but I guess maybe he didn't. After all, he knows the Book better than many!! Anyway, thanks for that post. And tell Frank "hi" the next time you see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! So I'm not the only one who likes the blessing in church.?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this. give frank a hug the next time you see him.

    i came over from your sis' spot. thanks for sharing the blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Hopping over from your sister's blog (Homesteading at Redtail Ridge) and she is right! You ARE a blessing! And you are right--an open hand to receive and give is how we are made to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for all your comments! I feel like I know some of you from reading my sister's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here from your sister's blog. :)
    I really enjoyed reading your heart-warming post. Love the photos of Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm here from your sister's blog as well. We Love her and after reading this post am sure we will Love you too. I'm in tears - that was an awsome post. As I read it, I could help but think of Frank and I will think of him I'm sure as I drink my coffee for sometime to come. I will surely say a pray or two for him. You know giving isn't just money. The Bible says give and it shall be given unto you - as I read your post it came to me - that includes blessings. Blessed in Ringle, WI.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sis' sent me and I am certainly blessed because of it.

    I love Frank and this story. I wish I could meet him. He is one of God's angels.

    I am so thankful to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sis sent me too. What a wonderful man and wonderful you see it as a blessing. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems a lot of traffic has come your way via your sis. I am glad she sent me over here. Your post is beautifully written and it touched my heart. Thank you for your wonderful words. They are a blessing to everyone who reads them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sent by your Sis too, and I am so glad I did. This is such a beautiful story. Frank is indeed a blessing. Our town lost a "Frank" last year. He would mow lawns for seniors and low income people for nothing or almost nothing, towing the lawn mower on his bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This Ozark Farm Chick loved this post. We all must realize that when someone offers something and we deny 'em...we're just stealin' their blessing.

    It took this old gal a long time to realize that. On the other hand if I want to do something for someone and their hesitant...I'll say, "Please don't steal my blessin'!!!"

    From the chilly windy hills and hollers of the icy Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a delightfully blessed and beautiful weekend!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post... your sister was right about your blog. I will be happy to follow you!

    ReplyDelete